Thursday, July 25, 2013

be still.

my husband was recently reminiscing about some wonderful times hunting and fishing (or anything outdoors) with his grandfather as a younger child. he cherished and still cherishes that sweet time, being with his "Papa Bruce" and him teaching him all he knows about hunting and fishing. he laughs often when he tells me that whenever the two of them were hunting/fishing Papa Bruce would always tell him to "be still" (I think for two reasons). #1: to not scare any of the animals away and #2: to just enjoy the moment and the quietness of being in nature.  I often get tickled thinking about my husband as a very young toddler/child squirming around trying very hard to "be still." priceless.

Papa Bruce and Ro. Then.


Now.
I, for one, still have a difficult time "being still." I get restless, thinking about the things I should be doing in order to have a productive day. my stillness is stolen by wandering thoughts and distractions. I find that more times than not, the times that I have the most trouble "being still" are the times when I need to be still the most.

"be still and know that I am God." psalm 47:10 (one of my very favorites) when my life is busy and I can't even sit still long enough to spend time with the Lord, I try to start out my time with Him by praying for focus, and control of those crazy thoughts spinning around in my head. before I even start reading scripture or devotional for the day, I pray to make the most out of that time by focusing completely on Him. the worst is thoughtlessly reading my devotional and then having no idea what the Lord was trying to teach me. the goal of that time is to become closer to the Lord and form a deeper relationship with him...not mindlessly read a couple lines of the devotional and move on with my day. it takes a lot of prayer and self-control but hopefully one day "being still" will come more naturally. until then, I will keep reminding myself that nothing is more important.





have a good one, friends!


xoxo, Landrum
 

No comments:

Post a Comment