Monday, November 18, 2013

fog


It never ceases to amaze me how the Lord speaks so clearly to me.

we made a get-a-away to the mountains this past weekend. the first day we were there, it was beautiful with clear skies. the second morning was verrryy foggy. I spent majority of the weekend curled in a chair by the wood fire stove with my bible and my Lord. (and the occasional hot cocoa).

the devotional out of Jesus Calling (on the morning that was so foggy) was this:

Nov. 16th:

'As you look at the day before you, you see a twisted, complicated path, with branches going off in all directions. You wonder how you can possibly find your way through that maze. Then you remember the One who is with you always, holding you up by your right hand. You recall My promise to guide you with My counsel, and you begin to relax. As you look again at the path ahead, you notice that a peaceful fog has settled over it, obscuring your view. You can see only a few steps in front of you, so you turn your attention more fully to Me and begin to enjoy My presence.

The fog is a protection for you, calling you back into the present moment. Although I inhabit all of space and time, you can communicate with Me only here and now. Someday the fog will no longer be necessary, for you will have learned to keep your focus on Me and on the path just ahead of you.

Psalm 73:23-24  1 Corinthians 13:12

I stopped for a minute after reading the part about the 'peaceful fog' settling in. I glanced out the window at the what would normally be a breathtaking view of the mountains but that was currently covered in a dense fog. and I thought, "wow, Lord. you had to actually give me physical, real-life fog to make me listen this time. ...I truly believe that sometimes the Lord uses subtle reminders, little "nudges" if you will, to talk to us or get us to listen. and other times, He uses very obvious, smack in the face reminders. This 'ole fog was one of them.

now, I am not a worry wart. however, I have been wrestling lately with the uncertainty of the future and what it will hold. the Lord knows this. He also knows that when these anxious thoughts begin to creep in my mind, that I tend to be pretty good about pushing them out and putting my trust back in Him. we humans (well, at least this human) can only handle so much. this wonderful, screamingly obvious nudge was wonderful at settling my mind and calming my anxious heart. and reminding me that thankfully, I only have the path just ahead of me to focus on.

so instead of thinking of fog as a negative thing that obscures my view, I now know that it is God's way of protecting me and caring for me. It is God's way of talking directly to me and saying "I've got this, my child. Take it one day at a time, I am only giving you today to think on for now. Turn to me. Look to me. Focus on me."

so I ended my time praising God for the fog instead of grumbling about it.

I think a lot of us struggle with this from time to time. we like to know exactly what our life will look like and how we will get there. the truth is, we can't handle all that. and not knowing exactly where life is heading, forces us to put our trust in the One who does know. and I think back often to my hubby's favorite verse: 'For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' Jeremiah 29:11. ....Hallelujah to that!!





have a blessed day!


xoxo, Landrum



No comments:

Post a Comment