Friday, November 16, 2012

joy

 what is Joy, exactly?!

...according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary Joy is defined as:
'the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of possessing what one desires.'

hmmm....I might have to disagree. Success is simply success. Good fortune, simply good fortune....happiness is just happiness. you get the drift. but JOY, Joy is different. I personally believe Joy to have a biblical connotation behind it. how is Joy defined in the Bible?? Joy is one of the fruits of the spirit as written in Galatians 5:22. There is a biblical "fullness of joy" that only occurs in God's presence.  Another (much better) definition of Joy I found was: 'the happy state that results from knowing and serving God.' perfect. So, when someone says they have experienced true Joy, I believe it to be much different than success or good fortune (sorry Mr. Webster ).

I have to admit, I am quite blessed. My job as a nurse, something that I am able to do every day (well, only 3 days/nights a week to be exact :) ) brings me so much joy in my life. AND I get paid for it! pretty amazing set-up.

something else that brings me much joy on a regular basis is relationships. relationships with my family, friends, co-workers, etc. ...some wise person once told me "life is ALL about relationships"...I have come to truly experience this the older I get. I have also come to realize that life is LESS about how clean, organized, decorated, your house is, and MORE about the people you host within it :) forming and growing relationships is one of the most fulfilling elements of life.

so having said that, one of the additions to my daily prayers has been that God help me realize what is REALLY important in life from day to day and not get stuck on the shallow, unimportant ones.  To focus on things that bring myself, AND others, JOY.

what brings you JOY?!

...happy friday everyone!
 
 
Scripture of the day:
'These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.' John 15:11.'

No comments:

Post a Comment