Tuesday, November 20, 2012

thankfulness

happy thanksgiving week!!

“Life without thankfulness is devoid of love and passion. Hope without thankfulness is lacking in fine perception. Faith without thankfulness lacks strength and fortitude. Every virtue divorced from thankfulness is maimed and limps along the spiritual road.”  -John Henry Jowet

so it has been the trend (on facebook, blogs, twitter, etc) to start on Nov. 1st and say something you are thankful for everyday of the month until thanksgiving day. I have obviously been a little behind with this. so I thought I would do a post on all the hundreds (they are indeed hundreds, but don't worry I won't be able to list nearly all) of things I am thankful/grateful for.

here's a shortened list: I'm very thankful for...

1. my parents...I realize I might be a little bias, but I truly believe that my parents are the BEST parents anyone could have. they have raised me in a Christian home and have shaped and formed me into the woman I am today. And despite what most of you may think (ha) I was NOT the perfect child. I gave them much grief throughout my years and yet they were/are incredibly patient. they say as you grow older and become an adult yourself, you realize how imperative all the things your parents did were (even though you may not have understood at the time)...well, I don't recall there ever being a specific time when they actually said: "one day YOU will THANK me for this"...but I can now say with certainty that I CAN thank them, for a million things that I never thought I would. their unconditional love, encouragement, and support has gotten me through many hard times and I don't know where I would be without them. they both have true hearts for God and live their lives accordingly. I only hope one day I can be half as great as they are. I am forever grateful for them. They are my rocks.

2. my husband- they say choosing a spouse is the single most important decision you will make in your life. I would probably say that the decision to ask Christ into your heart would be the most important. but a husband is a close second. and in my case, I believe the two were closely intertwined. what girl doesn't like reminiscing about when they met the love of their life? well, don't mind if I do. on my hubby and I's first date...on a cold night in January, he took me to this incredible restaurant in Saluda, NC. it was snowy and beautiful and we got to talk in the car on the way there. when we arrived, we sat and ate in the cozy warm restaurant. and...I clearly remember the moment that night when I looked across the table at him and KNEW he was the one. (and although maybe he didn't quite know it yet).. I knew I would spend the rest of my life with him. it was an indescribable feeling. and I am sure some of you don't believe me...that people just say that, blah, blah. well. you don't have to believe me but its true. there was something so completely different about him ( a good different). ...and the rest is history.  he is the PERFECT combination of everything I have ever needed or will need. and I thank God for him everyday.

3. my siblings- ...my sis...now most sisters have what we call a "love/hate" relationship. and I'm not saying my sister and I were always perfect. (especially the days when we both lived at home and were "sharing" clothes--we had some serious temper tantrums when it came to clothes) and there are also some old home videos with mild abuse that would suggest otherwise (haha) ....but despite that, we have a pretty amazing relationship. especially as we have grown up. we are pretty (ok REALLY) different but can "agree to disagree" when things get sticky sometimes. we are very close and know each other almost better than anyone. there are so many things I love about her. but the thing I love the most is her heart. she sometimes comes across as carefree, with a somewhat tough attitude. but she is always the FIRST to help a stranger or anyone for that matter. and she never, ever expects a thing in return. she is what I think of as the ultimate "anonymous giver" and I don't mean literally or money necessarily. just with her life, her time, actions, etc. she is always looking for ways to help someone and never looking for the credit. she makes such a difference in many people's lives and doesn't even know it. she is strong-willed and has always had an amazing sense to "protect me" even though she is my little sister. another thing I love about her is what an amazing big sister she is to our youngest brother.  he came a little later on but his presence has been such a blessing to our family. she has managed to create the perfect relationship with him (even with the age difference) and she has always put her family first, with no hesitations. ...and although I didn't think it was possible, she becomes more amazing every day.
 my little bro-we often joke that my "parents finally got it right with him"..."third time's a charm", etc. but its actually not really a joke. he is SOMETHING else. he is 15 going on 30. although he gave us quite a scare when he was born a little earlier than expected, he didn't take long to catch up and has been ahead of the game ever since. I LOVE being around him, he is such a joy. and yes, he is my baby brother, but I look up to him in alot of ways. he has a strong faith (at age 15) that I believe will only grow stronger with time. he is a fine man already and he continues to amaze me and my family with the man he is growing into. . He will do something truly great in this world, and that is a fact.  (girls, watch out!!!- he deserves the best.:)

4. my second family- I find it hard to even call my "in-laws" in-laws. because they mean so much more to me than that. they are my second "mom and dad"...and I could not be more blessed when it comes to them. they welcomed me into their family without a seconds hesitation, and have treated me like a child of their own. more than just generally loving them and being around them...I have an enormous respect for both of them and how they raised their sons. they created my husband, this man that I cannot imagine life without. and ...when asked to describe my husband when we first started dating for those who had not yet met him, I most often described him as "solid." He is a solid man of God. and I have to give his parents majority of the credit for this. ...not everyone can say they LOVE their mother and father in law...well, I honestly can. They are two of the most selfless, wonderful, warm, people I know. I am SO thankful for them. I am also incredibly thankful for my two brother-in-laws (and new sister-in-law!!) who I love to pieces. they are all so fun to be around and the more time I spend with them, the more I love them. bound to be lots of fun memories ahead :) God has graciously blessed me with a loving, wonderful "second" family.

5. friends-I have been told many, many times throughout high school and college that not everyone has a group of girl-friends like I do. it is SO true. God has given me an amazing group of girls. girls which I could (and do) tell everything and anything. girls that I have been through alot with. girls I have been half-way across the world with. and now,  girls that I have or will be standing beside on the day they get married. these days, I do not get to see them nearly often enough BUT when I do things always pick up right where they left off. what a blessing. I cherish them so much and look forward to the years to come :)

6. grandparents- my sweet grandmother, "Nana" has always held a special place in my heart. she is wonderful and has some amazing qualities that I can hopefully acquire one day. she is a beautiful painter. I used to follow her around when I was little and would sit in her studio for hours watching her. I love her dearly. I am also thankful for my husband's grandparents and the endless love they have shown me. It has been so comforting to me.

7. sweet memories- I am thankful for sweet memories with special grandfathers. I lost both of my grandfathers this past year and it was tough. although I miss both of them often, I thank God for the times we were able to spend together and the fond memories that resulted from those times. I will hold those memories in my heart always. 

8.  I am eternally thankful for the Lord ('Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.' Lamentations 3: 22-23) ...whose mercies are new every day and how He continues to forgive me when I constantly make mistakes. ...and that He, not I, is in control. how comforting.

...and I could go on and on and on...but i'll stop there. I hope everyone takes the time to count their blessings this week and always...you might have many more than you realize! :)


Gobble Gobble, folks!

“Perhaps it takes a purer faith to praise God for unrealized blessings than for those we once enjoyed or those we enjoy now.” -A.W Tozer

No comments:

Post a Comment